THE THREE SCHOOL BULDINGS AT ALPENA
The first School at Alpena was A crudely constructed one room building.
Then in 1922 the second old two story school building was built, and by 1930
was remodeled and added to.
The first High School opened on the second floor of the old School Building in
1924. The first class to graduate was in 1927,with seventeen students.
When they had the 2 story school house, they had 2 teachers, one taught the
lower grades downstairs and one taught the higher grades upstairs.
The subjects were Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Spelling and Geogrephy.
Occasionally they would have A Spelling Bee on Friday.
School hours were from 8 in the morning till 4 in the evening. Lunch would
be for one hour, to give the children that went home for lunch time to go and
come back before the bell rang.
Drinking water was kept in A large stone jar and each pupil would bring their
own glass from home.
THE GRADUATING CLASS WERE
PAULINE JONES---LOYD COOPER---OPAL WEBB---RUEY FOLEY------
G.E. SEALS---MADGE ROGERS---HAZEL JENKINS---VERMA DAVIS-----
BERTIE CARSON---EUNICE WASSON---ELIGE CONE---ONYX-- AYERS
--CHRISTINE McCURRY---ERNEST CECIL---JOHN KIRKHAM---------------
BLANCHE WARD---OPAL AUMAN---JEWEL LAWSON---LILLIAN GRIFFIN
Grover Seals was the Superintendent and his wife was also a teacher.
Then on December 22, 1939 the School Building burned because of A wood
Then between 1940 and 1942 the third School Building and also the Gymnasium
that is there today was built.
Cemeteries, Buildings, Churches, Schools, Stores, Bars, Phone Company, and more coming soon.
THE FIRST RAILROAD AGENT -------AND-------THE FIRST HOTEL IN ALPENA
Mr. Ross Fox was the first Railroad Agent in Alpena. He owned and operated the first Hotel in Alpena and also was the first person to be buried in the Alpena Cem. The last Railroad Agentin Alpena was Mr. John L. Porter. He was the Agent in Pendall from 1909 untill 1942, then moved to Alpena and was Station Agent here for the last 5 years of the Railroad.
THE REAR OF THE OLD ALPENA CANNING FACTORY
THE MAN STANDING AT TOP IS JIM CENTERS, OWNER
THE LADY AT FAR RIGHT IS MARY GRAVES
OSAGE WAS KNOWN AS FAIRVIEW UNTIL 1848 WHEN THE NAME WAS CHANGED
Gobbler School in the early 1940's