"HELPING TO PRESERVE OUR PAST AND FUTURE"
The new Historical Society met at the Alpena Historical Museum on October 20, 2012 to form the Society and elect officers.
Alpena Historical Society
P.O. Box 52
108 Center St.
Alpena, Ar. 72611
Latitude is 36.294 N and Longitudeis is 93.291 W
Elevation is 1,142 feet
"Elected Officers of the Society"
Chairperson: John Cantwell
Vice-Chairperson: Marcy Ragland
Secretary: Ruth Richardson
Treasurers: Bernal L. Green
Curator: Pat Fields
Assistant Curators: Dorma Lowery
The newly formed Historical Society meets the third Saturday of each month at 10:00 AM and extends A welcome to all that are interested in the History of the area and welcomes Documents, Pictures and Artifacts pertinent to the area, to be placed in the Museum. Any type of Correspondence, Writings, and other Paperwork. Even Paintings and Objects.
Alpena area residents have a vision for a unified, welcoming, family-oriented
hometown with roots in the past which nourish their future.
Their sense of place includes a safe, caring, and clean environment with a
thriving economy, local educational opportunities, and rewarding activities for
everyone from children to senior citizens.
They want to be a place for people to visit and make memories and a place to
which future generations will want to return to.
4th OF JULY
In the early days, on the 4th of July, A picnic was
held. People came from quite A distance
in Wagons and Buggies to attend this affair.
One of the main attractions was A swing that
was especially enjoyed by the children.
It was powered by man power or pulled by A
mule. One seat on the swing was usually saved
for two men, with A Fiddle and Banjo who furnished the music, and A good time was had by all.
The War record shows that in the two World Wars, A number of Alpena men have entered the Military Service. Some gave their life, and others were wounded and some were taken prisoner.
Most of the bodies of those that were killed in action during the last war have been returned home for reburial.
STORES IN ALPENA
Among the first stores in Alpena to sell goods was Auman's and Whitakers.
Also there was Hama's and Tyson's
Alpena Pass requested A Post Office
The first Postmaster in Alpena was
" ALPENA FIRST INCOPRORATED "
Alpena was first incoprorated in 1913, later in 1934 to grant an
Electric Franchise, it was again incoprorated, but both times the
Coproration was permitted to lapse.
Then on Sept. 24, 1947 an election was held to incoprorate the
city for the porpose of granting A gas franchise to Arkansas
Western Gas Co.
John Paul was Alpena's first Mayor and then Frank Whitaker was
the head of the City Government.
3985 LEWIS LANE